Editorial Assistant, New York, NY
The Critical Reader is seeking a part-time editorial assistant. Hours will vary from week to week but will most likely range from 10-15 during slow periods to 20-25 during busier ones.
Duties may include:
- Proofreading and/or editing of test-prep books, making stylistic and grammatical changes as necessary.
- Book formatting and layout, ensuring consistency within and across manuscripts.
- Composing copy for book covers and website.
- Assistance with newsletter and social media
- A B.A. in the humanities or social sciences.
- A familiarity with the standardized testing and selective college admissions process.
- Outstanding grammar and writing skills; knowledge of a Romance or Classical language is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Word and familiarity with social media.
- Extraordinary attention to detail and a high degree of comfort working independently.
Please note: this is not a remote position — while much of the work can be done virtually, applicants must be available to meet on a regular basis at our Midtown Manhattan office (located next to the F train). While hours may initially be limited, this position offers considerable room for growth, and the ideal candidate will have ample opportunity to shape it to their strengths and interests.
Compensation is negotiable and depends on experience.
Please send resume and cover letter in PDF format, along with a brief non-fiction writing sample (any format), to email@example.com.